The UMDNJ School of Nursing was changed to Rutgers Schools of nursing started its nursing program in 2014, and the DNP program was launched in May 2015.
A Go Through
- On successful completion of 3 years, a program will lead to the award of Doctoral degree in Nursing Practice. The four years DNP program is also offered by the Rutgers School of Nursing. The first two years can be attended in part-time while the rest of 2 years is based on full-time studies.
- The program is based on total credit hours of 85.
- The classes for the new session begin in May every year.
- Rutgers School of Nursing application deadline is 1st October every year, and the interview session starts in November every year.
- On average, a class is based on 22 students.
- On average 100 numbers of applicants are accepted every year.
Tuition Cost at Rutgers School of Nursing
The tuition fee is calculated each year. In most schools every year, the rate of tuition fees are increased. The total cost could increase ranging between five to fifteen percent. The Rutgers School of Nursing graduate tuition fees is different for outside the state and inside the state. The tuition rates for 2015 and 2016 are given below:
Rutgers School of Nursing in State Tuition Fee
Rutgers School of Nursing Out of State Tuition Cost
*Covers the cost including books, stationery, and application submission fees, health insurance, AANA certification fee and other charges.
Education and Training
CRNA program is designed according to the needs of modern medicine. CRNA Program is certified by Council On Accreditation of Nursing Anesthetist, and proper training is provided to the students with real exposure to professional experience. On completion of 3 years and four years program, everyone has to go through the final exam set by the Council on Accreditation to be declared as a Certified Registered Nursing Anesthetist (CRNA).
The DNP program is divided into two phases i.e. classes and clinical experience. The classes are based on the anesthesia-focused subjects which can be studied online But to gain the clinical experience the students have to be present at the campus. The classes should be completed in 1 year, and part-time students have to complete the levels in 2 years. The total credit hours of 34 can be studied online. During the last two years of the nursing program, students will study 39 credit hours of classes and 12 credit hours of clinical experience in the form of workshops, presentations; simulation labs should be completed on campus by every student. During the final phase of DNP program, every student has to complete 2400 hours of clinical experience at 15 different hospitals and clinics in Northern New Jersey and the state of New York. The students will be able to gain expertise in the following department:
The students will also be able to practice anesthesia administration from simple to complex type of surgical cases in different age groups. The students will also be involved in a different variety of surgical procedures.
Admission Requirement at Rutgers School of Nursing
Different CRNA Nursing schools have different requirement according to the university standards. The criterion at Rutgers School of Nursing is discussed below:
- A candidate should have Bachelor’s degree in Nursing accredited by Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and National League for Nursing Accreditation Commission.
- A candidate should have registered nurse license issued by the state of New Jersey or New York.
- A candidate should have one year of experience in critical care unit. The student should be involved actively in a treatment of critical patients, ventilators, invasive hemodynamic monitors, administration of vasoactive drugs, and management of anger fluids. The experience should be gained in different departments including Surgical ICU, Cardiothoracic ICU, Medical ICU, Surgical ICU, Neurosurgical ICU, Neonatal ICU, and Trauma ICU. The experience acquired in emergency and OT is not accepted.
- The students should try to gain more knowledge in Pharmacology, Pathophysiology, and Pathophysiology because the maximum questions will be asked from these subjects.
- A candidate should have at least 3.2 GPA, the students with GPA less than 3.0 will not be accepted on any conditions. The GPA obtained in science subjects will also be evaluated accordingly.
English Language Proficiency
GRE score is no longer admission requirement at Rutgers Schools of Nursing.
The students having a native language other than English should submit TOEFL results with a minimum 550 (paper) and a minimum 213 (computer) and in internet based test with the writing score of 22, speaking score of 23, reading score of 21 and listening score of 21.
- Critical Care Registered Nurse
- Advanced Care Life Support
Ranking of Rutgers School of Nursing
We stand amongst the 107 institutes securing 63rd position across the U.S having a rating of 2.5/5.0. The Rutgers CRNA program is being reviewed on a regular basis last time it was conducted in 2008, i.e., 05/2008. The UMDNJ Nursing Program received the accreditation for the period of ten years; the next review will be made in 2018, which highlights the quality of training and standards of CRNA is well maintained and with compliance to Council of Accreditation Standards.
Passing Ratio at Rutgers
The proportion of students failing in CRNA program at the UMDNJ School of Nursing is below 1 percent as per the session of 2014. The majority of candidates cleared the exam in the first attempt. Candidates who are unable to pass in a single attempt they did in the second while going for the third attempt are very rare. These figures are made showing the difficulty of CRNA program at the Rutgers School of Nursing. The percentage of students passing in the first attempt is 94% as per the session of 2014 with the National average of 89.9 as per the time of 2008.
The ratio of the employment of CRNA school at Rutgers is 100%.
Nursing Program Salary at UMDNJ
On average starting salary as a registered nurse at UMDNJ is almost equal to the other states in the U.S which range between $150000 and $ 170000. CRNA average salary as a registered Nurse is $163467. In rural areas the average pay is $174,214, in Metropolitan, the average pay is less which is around $164,148. In suburban areas, the registered nurses are least paid which is $156,630.
Rutgers CRNA Program
Rutgers School of Nursing
Graduate Program in Nurse Anesthesia
65 Bergen Street
Newark, NJ 07101
Clare F Golden, DNP, APN, CRNA, Program Director
Phone: (973) 972-2513
Fax: (973) 972-8950
General Questions: (973) 972-7014