Nurse Anesthesia Program is only offered by the University of Southern in the State of Mississippi.
General Review of Nursing Program at University of Southern Mississippi
- On successful completion of 3 years, a course will lead to the award of Doctoral degree in Nursing Practice.
- The program is only offered for the morning session.
- The CRNA program consists total credit hours of 117.
- The new session begins in January every year.
- University of Southern Mississippi application deadline is 30th June. The candidates are called for interview by August starting the meetings in mid of September. The candidates selected for the DNP program are informed by the start of October.
- On average, a class will consist of at least 20 students.
Tuition Costs at University of Southern Mississippi
The tuition fee is calculated each year. In most schools every year, the rate of tuition fees are increased. Total cost could increase ranging between five to fifteen percent. University of Southern Mississippi graduate tuition rates is different for outside the state and inside the state.
The University of Southern Mississippi in State Tuition Fee
University of Southern Mississippi Tuition Fee out of the State
*Covers the cost including books, stationery, and application submission fees.
University of Southern Mississippi Admission Requirements
Different CRNA Nursing schools have different requirement according to the university standards. The criteria at University of Southern Mississippi are discussed below:
- A candidate should have BS or MS degree in Nursing accredited by Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission.
- A candidate should have or should obtain the Registered Nurse license issued by the State of Mississippi.
- A candidate should have at least 3.0 GPA.
- A candidate should have at least one year of experience in Critical Care Unit as a registered nurse. Candidates having more experience will be preferred for CRNA program. A student should gain the hands-on expertise in the following:
- Active usage of ECG machines
- Invasive Monitoring
- Expertise in the administration of Vasoactive drugs
- Usage of Ventilators
A candidate should gain experience in following departments of ICU
The lessons learned in the following departments shall not be accepted
- Step-down unit
- Post Anesthesia Care Unit
English Language Proficiency
A candidate should submit GRE results having a minimum score of 300. A score ranging between 130 to 170 is required in the quantitative and verbal sections higher is preferred. The candidate having at least 4.0 score in the writing section will be preferred.
- Advance Cardiac Life Support
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support
Nursing Program Pre-Req at University of Southern Mississippi
A candidate should have studied Statistics during graduate studies while candidates who have studied Biostatistics are preferred.
Shadow experience is not mandatory, but candidates with shadow experience are recommended.
School of Nursing Ranking at University of Southern Mississippi
There isn’t any information available regarding the ranking is given by U.S News to University of Southern Mississippi College of Nursing. The CRNA program is being reviewed on a regular basis last time the CRNA program was considered in 20012. The University of Southern Mississippi is given the accreditation for the period of five, i.e., up to the year 2017 which highlights the quality of training and standards of CRNA is well maintained and with compliance to Council of Accreditation Standards.
Registered Nurse Salaries at University of Southern Mississippi
Nursing salary as a registered nurse at the University of Southern Mississippi is small as compared to the other states in the U.S which range between $120,000 to $140,000. CRNA average salary as a registered Nurse is $163467. In rural areas the average pay is $174,214 , in Metropolitan, the average pay is less which is around $164,148. In suburban areas, the registered nurses are least paid which is $156,630.
Is Capstone project required during the CRNA program?
Yes, a student should submit capstone project in the form of a report, or via presentation.
Will you be called for shifts during weekends?
Yes, to maximize your clinical experience gained you will also attend day and night shifts on the weekend also.
Is there any University of Southern Mississippi affiliated hospitals present?
There are 11 hospitals affiliated with the University of Southern Mississippi, and students have to relocate to all these affiliated hospitals to gain broad experience.
How many off days I can avail?
During three years program, a student can only avail thirty days of sick leave or vacations.
The University of Southern Mississippi
College of Nursing
Nurse Anesthesia Program
118 College Drive #5095
Hattiesburg, MS 39406
Vickie Stuart, CRNA, DNP, Program Director
Phone: (601) 266-5500