VCU Commonwealth University is ranked amongst the top five CRNA schools of U.S.
A Go Through on Virginia Commonwealth Master’s Program
- On successful completion of 2 years and 3 months program will lead to the award of the degree entitled Master’s in Nurse Anesthesia and Doctoral degree in Nurse Anesthesia Practice
- The program is only offered in the morning session.
- This CRNA program comprises of 73 total credit hours which will be covered in seven regular semesters.
- The new session of CRNA program starts in August every year.
- Virginia Commonwealth University Nursing School applications deadline is 1st October, but the application received on 1st January will also be considered by the admission committee. Within one month from the date of submission of your complete application, you will be called for the interview, but if you don’t hear from the University contact admission office on urgent basis.
- As a matter of fact, a large number of applications are submitted for CRNA program at Virginia Commonwealth University.
Tuition Cost of Medical School at Virginia Commonwealth University 2016
The tuition fee is calculated each year. In most schools every year, the rate of tuition fees are increased. Total cost could increase ranging between five to fifteen percent. Virginia Commonwealth University graduate tuition rates are different for outside the state and inside the state. Tuition fee calculated for the year 2016 is discussed below:
In State Expenses
Expenses outside the State
*Covers the cost including books, stationery, examination fees, funds, graduation cost, transport costs, certification charges and other expenses.
Class Strength of CRNA program at Virginia Commonwealth University
The number of students per class varies according to different campuses of Virginia Commonwealth University which are as follows:
- The number of students at Richmond Campus ranges between 21 to 24.
- The number of students at Abingdon Campus ranges between 6 to 8.
- The number of students at Roanoke Campus ranges between 5 to 6.
- The maximum number of students at Northern Virginia Campus is 5.
Education and Training of CRNA school at Virginia Commonwealth University
CRNA program is designed according to the needs of modern medicine. CRNA Program is certified by Council On Accreditation of Nursing Anesthetist, and proper training is provided to the students with real exposure to professional experience. On completion of 2 years program, everyone has to go through the final exam set by the Council on Accreditation to be declared as a Certified Nursing Anesthetist (CRNA).
Richmond campus is the main campus for the CRNA program with online learning option.
As the classes of the new session begin, students have to go through descriptive levels for at least first three semesters. The main courses that will be covered in the theory classes include Nurse anesthesia, physiology, chemistry and pharmacology which help you with upcoming practical experience. You will also be studying anesthesia courses which include Principles and Practice of Nurse Anesthesia part I to VI. The primary purpose of this core subject is to prepare you for the next practical work. The student has to go through simulation labs, laboratory practice, presentations, and assignments.
Students will practice their anesthesia skills in specially designed Center for Research in Human Simulation offering on hands experience on SimMan with SimBaby as well, ensuring enough skills are practiced by the students.
By the start of the 1st year and onwards you will be involved in the treatment of the patients in hospitals, and you will be practicing the administration of local and general anesthesia during surgical or general medical care of the patients. During the hospital experience, you have to take a decision on your own according to the needs of patient and you will be responsible for your decisions. As the experience gained by you increases, you will be brought under more severe and challenging conditions. As your clinical practice completes you will ready to take the accreditation exams required by the Council.
Virginia Commonwealth University Medical School Admission Requirements
Different CRNA Nursing schools have different requirement according to the university standards. The requirement at Virginia Commonwealth University Nursing program is discussed below:
- Candidate must have Bachelor’s degree in Science or related field of Nursing.
- Candidate should have a registered nurse license issued by the State of Virginia. The students applying for CRNA program outside of the State should apply for the license which should be published by the State of Virginia before the final exams of the 1st semester.
- Candidate must have at least one year of experience in acute care unit. In the departments in which experience is not acceptable includes OT and Stepdown Unit.
- Candidate having at least 3.0/4.0 GPA higher than that is preferred with an average GPA having 3.75 in last three years of educational qualification.
English Language Proficiency
Candidate should submit their GRE score having a minimum of 306 scores or higher. GRE results should not be older than five years.
Virginia Commonwealth University Nursing School Pre-req
Medicinal chemistry studied through online courses or organic chemistry from the Department of Chemistry at Virginia Commonwealth University should be considered by the candidates.
Medical School Ranking at Virginia Commonwealth University
According to U.S. News report of 2011, a marking of 4.0/5.0 was given to Virginia Commonwealth University Nursing School Program securing the 1st position out of total 107 CRNA schools in the U.S. The recent review was carried out in 2011 and a score of 10 was given with the accreditation for 10 years i.e. up to 2021 which highlights the quality of training and standards of CRNA is well maintained and with compliance to Council of Accreditation Standards.
Passing Ratio for CRNA Program
The proportion of students failing in CRNA program at Virginia Commonwealth University is two percent as per the session of 2014. The majority of candidates cleared the exam in the first attempt. Candidates who are unable to explain in the single attempt they did in the second while going for the third attempt are very rare. These figures are made showing the difficulty of CRNA program at the Virginia Commonwealth University. The percentage of students passing in the first attempt is 95% as per the session of 2014 with the National average percentage in 2008 was 89.9%.
Employment Ratio of Virginia Commonwealth Nurse Anesthesia Program
As per the session of 2014, the ratio of the employment of CRNA program is 100.
Salary of CRNA program at Virginia Commonwealth University
Average wages as a Registered Nurse at Virginia Commonwealth University is same as compared to the other states in the U.S which range between $140,000 to $160,000. CRNA average salary as a Registered Nurse is $163467. In rural areas the average pay is $174,214, in Metropolitan, the average pay is less which is around $164,148. In suburban areas, the registered nurses are least paid which is $156,630.
R.N to BSN Program
Candidates having a registered nurse license issued by any State of U.S can apply for the distance learning program which will lead to the award of degree entitled Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing.
Virginia Commonwealth University Nursing Curriculum
The curriculum for Nursing school at Virginia Commonwealth University is mentioned below:
- Concepts of Professional Nursing of two credit hours.
- Technologies of Nursing Practice of six credit hours.
- Health Assessment for Nursing Practice of three credit hours.
- Knowledge Validation by Portfolio of three credit hours.
- Nursing of Adults of six credit hours.
- Nursing of Women of five credit hours.
- Nursing of children of five credit hours.
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing of five credit hours.
- Pathophysiology and Pharmacology-l of three credit hours.
- Pathophysiology and Pharmacology-ll of three credit hours.
- Evidence-Based Practice of three credit hours.
- Nursing Internship of credit hours ranging between one to five.
- International comparison of Nursing education and clinical care of one credit hour.
- Community Health Nursing of five credit hours.
- Nursing of Adults-II of six credit hours.
- Leadership and Management in Health Care: Theory and Application of six credit hours.
- Special Topics Course of credit hours ranging between one to six.
- Senior Synthesis of seven credit hours.
Virginia Commonwealth University Web of Science
Virginia Commonwealth University published their library database online with books on various subjects and topics are available.
Is working allowed during the CRNA course study?
Working is allowed, but it is not encouraged.
Is critical care registered nurse certification is mandatory to seek admission in CRNA program?
No, certification is not mandatory, but it is preferred to get enrolled in CRNA program at Virginia Commonwealth University.
Are there any scholarships available?
There are several scholarships program available to help the students who need financial support. For further details, please contact Financial Aid Office present in University.
What is the Virginia Commonwealth financial aid application deadline?
Candidate should submit the application before 1st March every year.
What is the GPA requirement of Graduate School Program at Virginia Commonwealth University?
Candidate having at least 3.0/4.0 GPA higher than that is preferred with an average GPA having 3.75 in last three years of educational qualification.
What is the official color of Virginia Commonwealth University?
The official colors of Virginia Commonwealth University are Black and Golden.
What is the financial aid office number at Virginia Commonwealth University?
The number of financial aid office is (804) 828-2702
What is the undergraduate tuition fee for Virginia Commonwealth University?
The total expenses for inside the state is $12,772 and $30,838 for tuition outside the state.
Address for Admissions at Virginia Commonwealth University is given below
VCU School of Nursing Anesthesiology Department
Virginia Commonwealth University
School of Allied Health Professions
Department of Nurse Anesthesia
1200 East Broad Street
P.O. Box 980226
Richmond, VA 23298
Michael D Fallacaro, CRNA, DNS, Professor and Chairman
ph: (804) 828-9808
fax: (804) 828-0581
General Program Information