Wake Forest Medical School provides a particular test available on their website through which you can evaluate your chances of getting into the CRNA program. The Wake Forest is being shifted to a new location at Wake Forest Innovation Quarter due to the fact of high rate of the development as compared to other regions in the U.S. The new address of the Wake Forest is mentioned below
525 Vine Street,
A Go Through
- On the successful completion of 2 years program will lead to the award of degree entitled MS in Nursing Anesthesia.
- This CRNA program comprises of credit hours equal to 64.
- The classes at Wake Forest will begin in August every year.
- The application should be submitted before 1st October every year. The most competent applicants are called for the interview from November to December for the upcoming session in August. The final selection for nursing school is made until January. University also accepts the applications that are submitted before the admissions are offered.
- The strength of students at Wake Forest per class is 24.
- A total of 150 applications is accepted out of which applicants selected for interview ranges between 60 to 70. University now started offering the admission to candidates with outstanding qualification and excellent background of experience who submits their application before the admissions are offered.
- CRNA program at Wake Forest was first certified in the year 1942.
Wake Forest Admission Statistics
Wake Forest University always prefers the applicants having high educational qualifications. The candidates who are more suitable for the medical school at Wake Forest should have 3.7 GPA in their BS degree and a score of 311 or more in the verbal and quantitative section of their GRE test and experience as a registered nurse of four years and experience in ICU of 3 years.
Wake Forest Medical School Tuition Fees
The tuition fee is calculated each year. In most schools every year, the rate of tuition fees are increased. Total cost could increase ranging between five to fifteen percent. Tuition fee calculated for the year 2015 to 2016 is discussed below:
*Covers the cost including books, stationery, examination fees, funds, health insurance, certification charges and other expenses.
Education and Training in Nursing Program at Wake Forest
CRNA program is designed according to the needs of modern medicine. CRNA Program is certified by Council On Accreditation of Nursing Anesthetist, and proper training is provided to the students with real exposure to professional experience. On completion of 2 years program, everyone has to go through the final exam set by the Council on Accreditation to be declared as a Certified Nursing Anesthetist (CRNA).
The clinical experience is the key to the success of the CRNA program at Wake Forest Medical School. A detailed introduction on anesthesia is delivered to the students with maximum classes during the first year, and clinical experience is gained by the students during their visit to the hospital. During the second year, students directly have to practice their theoretical skills into practical as they are directly allocated in the operation theater. There are several hospitals and clinics affiliated with the Wake Forest where students are relocated for the real time experience dealing live patients and a detailed experience including Stereotaxy, Fiberoptic Intubation, anesthesia administration using precise machines, management of patient’s information and hands-on experience in surgery including orthopedic, cardiovascular, otolaryngology and in neurosurgery.
Wake Forest Admission Requirement
Different CRNA Nursing schools have different requirement according to the university standards. The requirement at Wake Forest is discussed below:
- A candidate must have a Bachelor’s in Nursing which should be accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education or Accredited Commission for Education in Nursing. Candidates who will obtain their Bachelor’s degree in nursing with significant experience as a registered nurse before the beginning of the new session at Wake Forest can also apply.
- A candidate must have a Registered Nurse license.
- A candidate should have at least one year of experience in ICU or Coronary Care Unit with 2080 working hours. But the total experience including the experienced gained as Registered Nurse should be of five years. The experience gained should include decisions made without waiting for the instruction and involved with the patient directly in treatment. The experience preferred at Wake Forest include the administration of vasoactive drugs, ventilators, Laboratory values of blood test, administration of anesthetic drugs, and invasive monitors. The CRNA program is much easier for the candidates having more experience while the candidates who don’t have any expertise in the ICU will fail quickly and they will not be able to get certified by the Council on Accreditation. A candidate having several years of experience in post-anesthesia care unit with emergency and ICU will have a broad range of experience. The preferred departments for the experience include
- Post Anesthesia Care Unit
- Acute Care
- Step down
GPA Requirement at Wake Forest
The ideal candidate for CRNA program at Wake Forest has a GPA of 3.5. While a candidate with at least 3.0 GPA in their BS degree and relevant science subjects can apply. The GPA will highly affect the rate of being enrolled as the number of applicants increases.
If a candidate has less GPA below 3.0, then try to improve your grades in science subjects which include chemistry, pharmacology, and pathophysiology to get considered because the competition at Wake Forest is very tough making harder for a candidate having average GPA. The students for the session of 2013 which are accepted had a GPA of 3.75.
Wake Forest accurately evaluate your performance in the nursing and science subjects. Mostly students improve their nursing and science subjects before applying to get considered for the CNRA program.
Medical School Requirement at Wake Forest
If you are sure that you can easily get into CRNA program at Wake Forest or you still have any doubt regarding the admission requirements, there is a solution available in the form of the Self Assessment Test available on University’s website which will highlight your chance getting into CRNA program with the suggestion to improve your chances.
English Language Proficiency
- A candidate has to submit their GRE results taken within last five years with a score equal to 50% having a score of 150 in both quantitative section and verbal section. Candidate having GRE result according to the new system should have a score of 300 in quantitative section and verbal sections. Wake Forest requires candidates having a GRE score of 1100 or more in quantitative section and verbal.
- Candidates having a native language other than English are required to submit their TOEFL results with a minimum of 600 marks.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
Wake Forest Course Pre-req
A candidate should have studied the following courses
- Biostatistics or simple Statistics of three credit hours
- Health Assessment is mandatory
Ranking of Wake Forest Medical School
According to U.S. News report of 2011, a marking of 3.4/5.0 was given to Wake Forest Nursing School Program securing the 7th position out of total 107 CRNA schools in the U.S. The recent review was carried out in 2005 and a score of 10 was given with the accreditation for 10 years i.e. up to 2015 which highlights the quality of training and standards of CRNA is well maintained and with compliance to Council of Accreditation Standards.
Passing Ratio for CRNA Program
The ratio of students failing in CRNA program at Wake Forest is four percent. The majority of candidates cleared the exam in the first attempt. Candidates who are unable to explain in the single attempt they did in the second while going for the third attempt are very rare. These figures are made showing the difficulty of CRNA program at the Wayne State University. The percentage of students passing in the first attempt is 96%.
Salary of CRNA program at Wayne State University
Average wages as a Registered Nurse at Wake Forest is almost equal to other states in the U.S is higher which range between $140,000 to $160,000. CRNA average salary as a registered Nurse is $163467. In rural areas the average pay is $174,214, in Metropolitan, the average pay is less which is around $164,148. In suburban areas, the registered nurses are least paid which is $156,630.
Wake Forest Programs offered with CRNA
Global Health Certificate Program
Candidates have some interest in International Health Care can also study this program with CRNA courses. On successful completion of the two years program will lead to the award of Certificate in Global Health. Students will be provided with extra experience during the program with different doctors, health workers, students, community members, etc. Students will also be sent outside U.S to gain expertise in the field of Health.
Lifespan Development Course
Lifespan Development Course is also provided to the students who increase the rate of their success as a CRNA.
Is working allowed during the CRNA course study?
Working is allowed but it is not encouraged, but some students still work.
Wake Forest School of Medicine Nurse Anesthesia Program
Wake Forest School of Medicine
Nurse Anesthesia Program
3rd Floor PCU
Medical Center Blvd
Winston Salem, NC 27157
Michael Rieker, DNP, CRNA, Program Director
ph: (336) 716-1411
fax: (336) 716-1412