In 2011, the University of Detroit Mercy was ranked 11th amongst the 107 CRNA schools across the U.S.
A Go Through
- On successful completion of 2 years and three months program or 3 years and three months program, a course will lead to the award of MS degree in Nurse Anesthesia.
- The program is offered for both morning and evening session. The duration of evening session extends up to three years and three months, during the 1st year, the students will not gain the clinical experience so that they can work part-time as well as a full-time job. In the start of the 2nd year, the students will be engaged in clinical experience, and they have to leave their respective jobs.
- A program is based on total credit hours of 59.
- The classes for the new session begin in September every year.
- University of Detroit Mercy application deadline is 31st October every year. The interview starts in January, and the student will be informed within a week or two regarding their selection in the CRNA program.
- On average, the number of students varies from 15 to 30 per class.
Tuition Cost at University of Detroit Mercy
The tuition fee is calculated each year. In most schools every year, the rate of tuition fees are increased. Total cost could increase ranging between five to fifteen percent. University of Detroit Mercy graduate program tuition fee for the year 2015 and 2016 is mentioned below:
*Covers the cost including books, stationery, and application submission, certification fees.
Education and Training
CRNA program is designed according to the needs of modern medicine. CRNA Program is certified by Council On Accreditation of Nursing Anesthetist, and proper training is provided to the students with real exposure to professional experience. On completion of 2 years and three months program, everyone has to go through the final exam set by the Council on Accreditation to be declared as a Certified Registered Nursing Anesthetist (CRNA).
In the start of CRNA program, students have to mostly attend the classes with a few hours of clinical practice in the simulation labs. As the clinical phase begins by the start of 2nd semester, the students have to attend, a maximum of 16 hours of clinical experience which will be later increased to 24 hours in a week. By the start of last semester, the students will be attending a minimum of 32 clinical hours in the hospital. As the start of clinical experience, students will work under the supervision of professionals with the increase of clinical hours the monitoring will be decreased accordingly.
Medical School Admission Requirements at University of Detroit Mercy
Different CRNA Nursing schools have different requirement according to the university standards. The criteria at University of Detroit Mercy is discussed below:
- A candidate should have at least BS degree in Nursing accredited by Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education and National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission.
- The candidate should have current registered nurse license issued by the state of Michigan.
- A candidate should have should have at least one year of experience in Critical Care Unit, the candidate with five years of experience are preferred. The experience will evaluate the capability of the students in independent decision making with more accuracy. The experience should be gained in different departments including Surgical ICU, Cardiac ICU, Neonatal ICU, Pediatric ICU, Surgical ICU, and Emergency room with the active usage of invasive monitors, ventilators, and critical care pharmacology. The students completing their medical experience at the beginning of the CNRA program will be preferred.
- A candidate should have minimum 3.0 GPA or higher than that will be preferred.
English Language Proficiency
GRE score is not required to get enrolled in the CRNA program.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support.
The students with shadow experience are preferred for the CRNA program at the University of Detroit Mercy.
A student should have passed any one of the subjects with grade B or higher which should not be older than ten years
- Inorganic Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Research Method during Bachelor’s degree in Nursing
The students can repeat the courses to improve their grades, the courses in the combination are also acceptable.
Ranking of University of Detroit Mercy
We stand amongst the 107 institutes securing 11th position across the U.S having a score of 2.3/5.0. The CRNA program is being reviewed on a regular basis last time it was conducted in 2015, and a score of 10 was given, i.e., 10/2015. The University of Detroit was awarded the accreditation for the period of ten years, i.e., 10/2025, which highlights the quality of training and standards of CRNA is well maintained and with compliance to Council of Accreditation Standards.
Passing Ratio at School of Nursing University of Detroit Mercy
The proportion of students failing in CRNA program at the University of Detroit is 21 percent as per the session of 2014. The majority of candidates cleared the exam in the first attempt. Candidates who are unable to pass in the single attempt they did in the second while going for the third attempt are very rare. These figures are made showing the difficulty of CRNA program at the University of Detroit The percentage of students passing in the first attempt is 80% as per the session of 2014 with the National Average of 90% as per the session of 2012
The ratio of the employment of CRNA school University of Detroit is 100% as per the session of 2014.
Salary of Nursing School at University of Detroit
On average salary as a registered nurse at the University of Detroit is higher than other states in the U.S which range between $160,000 and $180,000. CRNA average salary as a registered Nurse is $163467. In rural areas the average pay is $174,214, in Metropolitan, the average pay is less which is around $164,148. In suburban areas, the registered nurses are least paid which is $156,630.
University of Detroit Mercy Acceptance Rate
The University of Detroit Mercy acceptance rate is 61% as per the session of 2015.
Is working allowed during the CRNA studies?
Yes, working is allowed, but it is not recommended.
What is the minimum requirement of hours in a week?
A total hour of 55 to 60 hours in a week is required for CRNA degree.
The students can either complete their MS degree either by taking a research course of 3 credit hours or by thesis.
On average, there are eight holidays, every year which includes:
- Labor Day
- Christmas Day
- Martin Luther King
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- 4th July
In addition to high eight holidays, the students can also apply for the vacation; the application will be evaluated accordingly, and the leave will be granted on the basis of need. The 20 days off-time will also be given to the students before the start of each semester.
University of Detroit Mercy (UDM)
4001 West McNichols Road
Detroit MI 48221-3038
Nursing Program University of Detroit Mercy
Michael P Dosch, CRNA, Ph.D. Chair, Nurse Anesthesia
Phone: (313) 993-2454
Fax: (313) 993-1271
Claudia Rowland, Administrative Assistant (Admissions only)
You must log in to post a comment.